Thursday, December 3, 2009

Flash Gordon Xmas


Sticking with yesteryear yuletide TV, today is the 1936 Universal Films serial Flash Gordon.

Like the Laurel & Hardy shorts these seemed to be seasonally broadcast and usually fell during the Xmas school holidays. It was one of three which the studio filmed with Buster Crabbe in the lead role and splanned thirteen episodes.



Shown daily and in the morning amongst other children's TV on BBC Two, it just about filled the school holidays. I loved the set design based upon the earlier comics - stuff like ray guns and space craft which reminded me of steel sea-liners with huge, rivetted hulks.



I actually saw one of the Flash Gordon episodes at a cinema while at college. On the big screen it had a grandness and scope which the television lacks.






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you own the rights to any media I use here and would wish me to withdraw it, please get in touch. Ta.